If you have a business of any kind, or even if you don’t, it is never a good idea to use a free professional email address – like one from Gmail, Yahoo, or Outlook. There are several good reasons for this. The first three reasons will help you improve your image, and the last 4 will help you improve your business.
Stop embarrassing yourself!
- You look cheap. To most people, a free email address says: “he’s cheap” or “she does this business on the side” or “they might not be in business very long”.
- You look like an amateur. A free email address will not leave a professional impression on anyone. You look much more on top of things when you have an email address like: firstname.lastname@example.org rather than: email@example.com.
- You look lazy. Free email addresses are, well…free! They take about 2 minutes to get one. If you will take a few more minutes, like maybe 10, you can have a pro email. (Keep reading!)
Your email address is important!
- Your deliverability suffers. Free email addresses have lower deliverability rates than email from a company’s domain name. Since anyone can get a free email address, including spammers, content filters are much more likely to block a free email address than one at your own website domain.
- Use email to promote your business. You should be promoting your business with every email you send. Don’t you think it would be better to have YOUR company name in your email rather than Gmail or Yahoo?
- Free is difficult. Most good and short free email addresses are already taken. You are not going to get John@Gmail.com, so you will have to settle for John1233492@Gmail.com. Those emails are difficult to remember and spell correctly.
- Free is not permanent: What happens when your email provider decides to change things up? Maybe they retire a domain like @prodigy.net, or @sbcglobal.net. Or maybe they start charging for their services. When you have a “free” email address, you are at their mercy and it might not be yours for long.
Get a professional email address
It is easy and inexpensive to get a professional email address and you can do it in the next 10 minutes.
There are lots of different ways to do this, but in our opinion… Google Workspace is your best bet— it’s fast, reliable, and user friendly.
Google Workspace will give you a professional email: YourName@YourCompany.com along with a bunch of other business tools like chat, calendar, word processing, spreadsheets and more.
Go to https://workspace.google.com/ and get started!